Beginner to Intermediate Arabic
Our Beginner to Intermediate Arabic programme has been developed for anyone with a genuine interest in Arabic, whether for private, educational or professional reasons. It uses Modern Standard Arabic, which is spoken and understood in all Arab countries. This fully comprehensive eLearning programme has been specially designed as a self-guided programme.
On completion of the programme you will have achieved Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (Level 4 of the European Qualifications Framework). This corresponds to the US State Department Level 2.
Scroll down for full details of the programme.
£89 | US$ 99 | €99
12 month subscription, includes VAT.
The subscription does not renew automatically.
Any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 0044 (0)20 323 94 101
Are you a teacher or a student?
Are you interested in introducing Arabic in your school?
ArabicOnline together with the British Council had developed an online course of Arabic for schools. Find out more.
Winner of European Language Label Award
Overview and key features
Full one-year subscription at a great value.
- Three complete eLearning programmes for beginners
- Extensive support materials and downloads
- Additional benefits such as Study Plans, Learning Guides, worksheets
The ArabicOnline Membership recognises that as a language learner you can achieve a lot from a self-guided programme, but to reach full potential you also need support and guidance. By providing attractive and motivating courses and dedicated support materials, we can prove that learning Arabic is an attainable goal for everyone.
Scroll down for full details.
What’s included when you subscribe?
Hayya bina! – Let’s Go
This is the core programme. With over 200 hours of study, the course contains
- 15 interactive units with audio dialogues covering typical everyday situations
- Options to study with Arabic script or with Western script (transliteration)
- Extensive vocabulary practice
- An introduction to reading Arabic script and understanding the Arabic alphabet
- A wide variety of language activities with role plays with voice recording
- Language and grammar notes
- Cultural notes including advice on what to do and what not to do
Click on the headings below to find out more.
Table of Contents
For the complete syllabus, open in a new window
Unit 1 Arrival in the Arab World
Unit 2 Meeting our Arab friends
Unit 3 Our first Arabic meal
Unit 4 Our house is your house
Unit 5 Discussing our plans
Unit 6 At the souq
Unit 7 Where’s the National Museum?
Unit 8 Making business contacts
Unit 9 At the fruit and vegetable market
Unit 10 Taking a taxi
Unit 11 Oh dear, what have I eaten?
Unit 12 Dinner with the Director
Unit 13 Where shall we meet?
Unit 14 In the restaurant
Unit 15 Saying goodbye
Extra: Conversation practice
Arabic Conversation Practice
Improve your conversational skills with these interactive role plays. Implementing a new and innovative concept, which is simple but effective, the program has been designed to help you practise and improve conversational skills in typical everyday situations which you would expect to encounter in the Arab world, such as ordering food, asking for the bill, shopping and inviting a guest to dinner, etc.
It complements and consolidates what you learn in the core Arabic program.
- 17 modules, each with over sixteen steps of content
- Model dialogues for a whole range of everyday situations
- Activities and exercises to consolidate and master key words and phrases
- Role play activities with voice recording to practise new words and phrases in different situations
Extra: Vocabulary practice
Word Trainer Arabic
More than just a list of words, Word Trainer Arabic will help you to improve your vocabulary and master some of the most common everyday words which you would typically expect to encounter in everyday situations in the Arab world. It counteracts traditional ‘rote learning’ by carefully guiding you through a comprehensive and thorough learning process to ensure that you learn and practise the sounds, pronunciation, meaning and spelling of each word correctly. Includes:
- 26 modules, each with over sixteen steps of content
- 156 words from a whole range of everyday situations
- Clear audio with native speakers
- Engaging exercises and activities to practise and consolidate key words
- Voice recording function to practise pronunciation
A Guide to Writing Arabic
This handy and comprehensive workbook is the perfect partner to the ArabicOnline course. It carefully guides you through each letter of the Arabic alphabet with plenty of opportunities for practice the letters – in isolation AND in words. If you are learning Arabic writing for the first time, then this is for you! Ideal for beginners. “A Guide to Writing Arabic” is available as an eBook as part of the subscription for instant download and self-printing.
Worksheets, downloads and glossary
Download and print out a wide range of worksheets to practise writing key vocabulary from the ArabicOnline course.
Download and listen to all the dialogues from the Arabic course as mp3 files with relaxing background music and spoken English translations. They are ideal for consolidating what you have learnt in the online course.
The relaxing background music has been especially composed by “Avicenna” with the aim of relaxing the brain whilst listening to the dialogues. Spoken English translations have been added after each Arabic sentence. The glossary of key words and phrases can be used to practise and consolidate your knowledge of Arabic vocabulary. The glossary is organised in such a way that key words and phrases from each unit of the Arabic course are collated with their English translations.
Manage your learning
Before you start the Arabic lessons, download and read the Learning Guide. The Learning Guide will help you to organise your learning experience and plan the necessary time. Before you start each unit, download the Study Plan for that unit. The Study Plan gives a detailed breakdown how much time to spend in each learning session, which tasks to do in which order. The Study Plans and the tasks in the interface guide you through a well-organised and completely integrated learning experience. We recommend that you study unit 1 exactly as described. You can then follow the same process for each of the following units. The Learning Diary allows you to keep track of your progress.
“I highly recommend ArabicOnline as it is the most comprehensive and the most accessible web resource for Arabic language learning that I have come across.”
Samah Naga, Head of Arabic at Oundle School
Why choose ArabicOnline?
By providing attractive and motivating courses and dedicated support materials we can prove that learning Arabic is an attainable goal for everyone.
Carl Taylor, Director of ArabicOnline
- ArabicOnline is one of the most comprehensive courses of Modern Standard Arabic on the web and in the app stores.
- A user-friendly, learner-oriented and clearly organised interface.
- Implements ‘discovery techniques’. Learners are encouraged to explore the language and be active participants in the learning process.
- It dispels the myth that Arabic is a difficult language to learn.
- Users choice is important. Users can study with Western script (transliteration), with Arabic script, or with both.
- ArabicOnline is suitable for all types of learners, regardless of their educational background.
Developed with the support of the Lifelong Learning programme of the European Union.
This publication ArabicOnline.eu reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.