Vegetarians have lots of choices
Vegetarians going to Arab or Middle Eastern countries often fear that meat dishes will dominate the menu and they will have little choice of vegetarian meals. This is not true, as the Middle Eastern cuisine has at it heart, vegetables, grains and spices. In other words, a vegetarian dish can have as much flavour as a meat dish,
Here are some dishes that are favourites with vegetarians as well as meat eaters. And the good thing is that most of them are relatively easy to make.
- Hummus (a dip made from blended chickpeas and tahini)
- Falafel (deep-fried patties made of spiced chickpeas and fava beans)
- Mutabbal (a dip made from puréed aubergines with sesame paste)
- Taboule (parsley salad with mint, tomatoes, onion and bulgur)
- Foul (broad beans) cooked with garlic and lemon juice.
- Fatousch (salad with fried Lebanese bread)
- Koshary the national dish of Egypt containing rice, lentils and macaroni noodles with spicy sauce.
- Couscous This traditional North African dish can also be served as a vegetable stew.
- Muhammara (Syria) a spicy dish – consisting of walnuts, spicy peppers, breadcrumbs and olive oil
Thank you for visiting ArabicOnline.Eu. Our award winning interactive courses of Modern Standard Arabic have been developed for anyone with a genuine interest in Arabic, whether for private, educational or professional reasons and are specially designed for self-study. Our website and our language courses are free from advertisements and we don't share any personal details of our visitors or registered members with third parties. Nor do we sell data for targeted advertising. We believe passionately that learning should be free from commercial distractions. For this reason we rely on subscriptions to fund the development of our products. Click here to find out more about our Beginner to Intermediate Arabic courses.